When we found out we were pregnant with Mason, I immediately started googling, pinning and researching everything that we would need. I remember, that when the time came to register for our baby shower, I was like a kid that just walked into Toys R’ Us. Side note, the fact that Mason will never know what that is, just made me really sad.
I was really convinced that he needed every outfit in every size, every baby gadget out there, and all the top notch baby products. I registered for things that was on a lot of other mommas’ lists when I did my research, and for the most part, we got all of them. I did however, made a wish list of things that were more pricey, and things that he did not need right away but we would eventually need.
Mason is now almost 7 months old, and figuring out what baby gadgets is a must for us has become trial and error. He chooses what he likes and will show us what he doesn’t care for. We have been able to return some stuff, and other stuff, well let’s just say, we found another home for them. We made a trip to Once Upon a Time, a store that buys gently used baby items. I will let you all know how that went in another post.
Overrated Baby Items and Gadgets
The following items are things that were not our favorite and we found not very useful:
- Glider/Rocker Chair: After seeing these in so many different nursery ideas on Pinterest, I told myself I needed one! I have used it about a handful of times in the last 7 months. Now, it’s an eyesore in our living room.
- Bassinet: We bought one of these thinking we could use it in our bedroom or living room, but we used it a couple times and ended up getting rid of it. It was a travel one that folds up, so one of the times we used it was for Thanksgiving, when we had to go to another family member’s house and he napped in it while we ate.
- Tummy Time: Prop and Play Mat: There are so many different mats out there, and trust me you’ll think they are cute and need all of them. This one comes with a prop pillow and Mason hated it.
- Baby Bouncer: This gadget is different from the jumper, so don’t get it confused. A bouncer is the one that they lay on and it bounces or rocks them gently. Barely rocked so it was pretty useless.
- Mobile: This is simply for decor and only it used a few times.
- Pregnancy Support Pillow: I thought this was my saving grace, but it didn’t make me any more comfortable and it took up so much room in our bed.
- Boppy: Mason laid in this a couple times, but not a necessity or something we reached for.
Baby Essentials (what we actually use)
These items are our favorite, must have and gadgets and products we use daily. This is the good stuff! I will link everything below.
- Swing: For the first few months, this is the only place we could put Mason down to sleep. Even now, we still use this for his nap time. He loves the swing!
- Jumper: I have one at home and I had one in my office when he came to work with me. He will jump in this thing for hours at a time. Now that he is older and active, this is by far our favorite gadget and use this daily!
- Walker: We started using this at 6 months old, and if he is not in his jumper, he is running around and chasing the dog in this gadget. Super easy to put together, small enough to bring with you, and your little one will love “walking” in this to explore the world around them. Mason loves this too!
- Summer Infant Pop ‘N Jump Activity Center: If you have a very active baby, you need this in your lives! This is is a jumper that folds up and you can carry anywhere! When we go to our friends house, or hang outside this is where Mason is hanging out!
- Munchkin Portable Diaper Caddy: We didn’t want or had room for another changing table, so we got this to store diapers, lotion, wipes, and other baby items. We use this all the time and it’s so convenient to have and love the fact that it comes with a changing pad!
- Infantino Flip 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier: I was never into baby wearing (I never got the hang of it), but when we’re walking around in the park, mall or outside exploring, I am carrying Mason in this. You can have your little one facing you or facing forward. Mason is always facing forward so he can see everything and loves it. The stroller is nice to have, but when we are out and about we typically only use the stroller when he was a newborn, and only use it now if we are out and he is tired or needs a nap.
I know, I know, every baby item is so cute, and there are so many things now that didn’t exist when we were babies. But I am telling you that your baby will either use it once or twice or not at all as they will outgrow most of their things. So here is what I learned along the way: you will need less than you think. Oh, and don’t go shopping when you’re very pregnant, because your nesting emotions will convince you that you need everything in the baby section.
Looking back, I could have skipped many baby products and wish that I had saved the money for things that he could definitely use now and in a few months!